Thursday, December 17, 2009

51. The final phase

The final phase began today. Can’t really believe that 4 years could have gone past so fast. Time flies indeed!

So as I was saying, classes started today, after what could hardly be called a vacation of a couple of days. Our counterparts in other NITs and IITs are enjoying their month long vacation. Hmph! But no complaints though –hardly 4 more months in the campus –I bet we’re gonna cherish each and every day of this sem(we better do!).

As usual the registration day was one heck of a day. Every year, the registration –a process which though it could be completed in a matter of minutes almost always eats up an entire day -is just an indication of how the rest of the sem is going to be! This year was no different and the day saw confused, frustrated, people running helter-skelter, shuttling between the Academic block, the bank and the department building, standing in long queues which move at snail’s pace, fighting over course electives.......At the end of the day, all that one can look forward to is exhaustion, frustration, exasperation and cursing of the whole damn system! No matter how much technology develops, no matter what new sophisticated computerised facilities they implement, the registration day continues to be a bedevilled day.

And my registration especially, invariably turns out to be doubly jinxed. This time, I lost the ATM slip of the fee payment and I learnt the hard way, the value of the puny little piece of paper. Last time, I had lost my college ID card and the year before, I had lost the password to my internet banking -each leading to enduring the yelling of N number of people from inside the college as well as outside... “You cant even remember a password, and you have come to study engineering?”... “Can’t you be responsible enough to atleast keep your ID card safe”... “You won’t be able to register unless you get a written permisson from the registrar”... Man! The people here can be really mean! All said and done, the last registration in this campus is over. Sigh! That’s a little sad..... :(

The first day was ‘perfect’ too. As usual I timed myself to get ready by 7.50am so that I can have a 5-minute breakfast and make it to the class at sharp 8. I count on my ‘Cruiser’ (ladybird cycle :P) for my last minute escapades. And guess what awaited me today? –A drenched cycle with a flat tyre! The gardener chechi always asks me to keep the cycle away from her garden and this time I got her message loud and clear...and a little wet too:|. I had no time to wipe off the water and rode on the wet cycle. On my way to the classroom, I had to carry my bag quite low, lest people should talk about my ‘wet back’, behind by back. I noticed the flat tyre only when my ‘cruising’ became unusually tedious; I decided to pedal the rest of the way, anyway. My calf muscles were cursing me the whole day.

Luckily we had only intro classes, but we are already loaded with assignments and seminars. What’s more, we have every day, afternoon classes too! So much for the no-study-just-chill-out final year myth! But hope we have a blast of a sem! keeping fingers crossed! :)


Unknown said...

After a long time!!
counterparts.,.yeah right :D

Neethu said...


Unknown said...

hey..i gues we have better registrations.... computerized and fast!! ;) and all the best for final sem!

Neethu said...

thanx n same to you!:)
btw u r anu?